Insurance for photography gear and electronics?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zendit_Outdoors Forum Member • Posts: 62
Insurance for photography gear and electronics?

I’m looking for a way to insure my photography gear and electronics (i.e. Laptop, smartphone, portable drives, etc) and I’m wondering if anyone has and advice or experience they can share with me? Do you know of a good company or a way to get all this covered, at a reasonable price, for both theft and damage?

We have a great home and auto insurance company (Farm Bureau) but they don’t have a good option for a separate plan for these types of items and if I make a claim under my homeowners insurance the deductible is WAY too high! Texas has some law that sets deductibles at 1% of the total coverage for content coverage under your homeowner coverage. Recently I took a trip to the west coast and my rental vehicle got broken into and I lost about $1200 worth of gear - thank God they didn’t get any of my main bags!! That’s when I found out that my homeowner deductible (basically meant for fires and other catastrophic losses) is like $4k - so I took a total loss on my stuff. A couple of years ago I had a MacBook Pro stolen out of my truck that was in the MIDDLE of the 13,000 acre ranch I manage, while I took a client hunting. I thought it was safe to leave the truck unlocked since I was mikes deep in the brush but an illegal migrant stole it. 8 months later it was turned in to an Apple store after someone found it (run over) in the middle of the nearest city, about 90 miles away! Those experiences have me searching for a specific policy to cover my gear when I’m out taking photos and traveling with a bunch of gear. There’s just TOO much money on the line with a couple Sony Alpha cameras, a bunch of lenses, all the other gear that goes with them AND my MBP and iPad Pro. It’s taking the fun out of photography because I’m CONSTANTLY worrying about my gear; and it’s hard to focus with all that fear - especially when traveling and you’re obviously a tourist!

So, here I am - hoping someone will have a good solution. So far, the best option I’ve found seems to be joining the Profession Photographers of America ($323/year) and then purchasing insurance through a company they work with. If I remember right, it was around $20 per $1,000 of coverage, up to a maximum of $15k of coverage, per year. So, around an additional $300 on top of the membership fees. Problem is… if you take an A7Riv, A7Siii, 4-5 Sony lenses, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro and all the little stuff like filters, memory cards, etc. you’re already well over that $15k maximum of coverage! Ugh! It shouldn’t be so hard to find and get insurance.

Any help from you more experienced folks would sure be appreciated! Thanks to all who reply!

Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow