LP-E6 vs LP-E6N vs LP-E6NH self discharge

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,854
Re: LP-E6 vs LP-E6N vs LP-E6NH self discharge

Be aware that voltage is NOT a good indicator of capacity with lithium batteries (unlike NiMH or NiCd). In general, the discharge curve of lithium batteries is very flat.

For example a 2s (2 cell) lithium is something like 2x 4.2V when absolutely fully balance charged and brand new. The "working" voltage drops quite quickly to something like 2x 4.1V, and then slowly drops to 2x 3.7V at which point they are almost fully discharged (maybe 10-15% charge left), and the last 5-10% drops off VERY quickly where the voltage plummets to 2x 3.0V. If the voltage of any cell drops below 3.0V the charger often struggles to start a charge, so it is not advisable to discharge this low. Fortunately the camera and/or battery circuitry should prevent this happening.

If I had to guess (because I have never measured it) a camera battery might drop from something like 4.2V/cell to 4.05V/cell and only lose around 10% of capacity.

I only have LP-E6 and LP-E6N batteries (no NH), and do not notice an abnormally fast self-discharge.

In general, storing fully charged lithium batteries in very warm conditions is not recommended as it can cause them to die quite rapidly - increased self discharge, dramatically shortened battery life (both per charge and number of charge cycles), and ultimately puffing of the batteries where they swell to the point of being too tight for the battery slot in the device.

I have some very large high voltage (25V 5,000mAh 6s) LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries for my remote controlled helicopters, and I store them in the freezer.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow