Typical shutter speeds for portraits in a studio?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,650
Re: Typical shutter speeds for portraits in a studio?

In the studio I find myself almost always shooting at 1/160, f8, ISO 100.

I almost hate to do it, but I'll dip my toes into the flash meter pool:

When I first started out, I learned with a flash meter. I think it was useful then. And a few years ago I would have gone to the matt arguing on why you should use a flash meter, but today I never shoot with one.

I shoot in the same studio (when in a studio) and I know pretty much what my lights are going to do. And for my personal go-to lighting, I find that I position the lights differently depending on who I'm taking pictures of; features, skin tone, how the eyes are set, etc. How the lights are positioned; how they're feathered, distance, etc. is way more important (to me) then the "correct" exposure.

Also, I'm always shooting tethered when in the studio. I just set my highlight warnings in Capture One and use that to make certain I'm not blowing highlights. A few weeks ago I did pull out the ol' meter for giggles and used it to see if I was missing something. It was a pain to be honest. What it said was the correct exposure was not what I wanted; it tended to be too hot for my tastes.

But it certainly doesn't hurt to use one. And, with experience, it's not really necessary.

But I always use the white balance patch on my Passport. ALWAYS. Not to get "accurate" colors because for what I do I don't care about that. I use it so that I have a solid baseline from which to begin my post processing.

-- hide signature --

Take photos that you love, and don't listen to anyone else --Peter Coulson.
https://www.danielmedley.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/danlmedley/

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow