Invest in new camera body or lens, that is the question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
CaffeineOD
OP CaffeineOD New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Invest in new camera body or lens, that is the question

lehill wrote:

CaffeineOD wrote:

My current gear includes

• Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM < crop sensor lens!
    Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
    Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM < crop sensor lens! Can't use on R6.

A) Keep using Canon EOS M50 and purchase Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 S DG OS HSM / EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

B) Purchase Canon EOS R6 and keep using current EF lenses for time being, possible rent lens when need. Canon EF - EOS R mount adapter is included in R6 package deal.

Wow, I did the math (assuming f/5.6, 1/500 sec, EV6 stadium lighting) and figure you're shooting around ISO25,600. Someone check my math please, but this is very bad.

Here's a simulation of Option A and B using DPR's Studio Scene:

With EF-S lenses, option B will automatically crop all R6 images down to 8 megapixels (about 3420x2280). The EF-M lens cannot be adapted to Canon R mount.

If you really like indoor sports shooting, your long-term plan probably should be moving to a full-frame camera and fast lenses (labeled "Buy both"). It's expensive but you can do it in two steps (lens now, then camera in future).

The cause of the problem is indoor sports stadiums never have very bright lighting. Amateur stadiums can be very dim, professional stadiums are better.

Either A or B gives similar results. Option B does nothing to get more light onto the sensor so you'll still shoot at extremely high ISO and the camera will crop the image. Option A does get ~2 stops more light on the sensor which allows shooting at lower ISO and doesn't crop the image.

For the short-term, I think it's pretty clear Option A is preferred.

Thanks for the detailed reply and explaining with an image, helps to get "visual guidelines" to understand bit more.  I think you are right and indeed lens should be first option and eventually look into camera body, not exactly sure why I was so focused on new shiny toy without thinking _how_ would I use it without lens to make it all work. Seems it was good idea to post and wait before shopping just to cry later on about having to buy lens top of camera body. At least with new lens I can get used to it and understand it better which should help me even more once camera body upgrade comes.

-- hide signature --
 CaffeineOD's gear list:CaffeineOD's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow