Invest in new camera body or lens, that is the question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
CaffeineOD
OP CaffeineOD New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Invest in new camera body or lens, that is the question

Klaus dk wrote:

CaffeineOD wrote:

TLDR: Should I invest in camera body such as Canon R6 or keep using M50 and couple it with somewhat expensive lens, considering I'm looking to get into indoor sport photography (ice hockey for example) ?

Some background, I have been running around with Canon EOS M50 for a year now and starting to get into sport photography slowly, main intrest is at ice hockey but not exclusive as I try to run around in many sport / concert events as I possible can. I don't really care for video features that much, nice to have but not that important to me.

My current gear includes

• Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

With the adapter, this lens will force the R6 to crop to APS-C, giving you around 7 Mp

• Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM

This will work, but with a wider field of view than you're used to

• Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM

You can't mount this lens on an R6.

[…]
So am I dead wrong thinking doing camera body upgrade considering need for action sport features (such as better low light and tracking performance) ? if anyone has any advice on this matter, that would be much appreciated.

You can choose the M6II for better tracking and improved low light capability, but at the cost of lack of native lens support for the brightest lenses, 90D for the same sensor and the vast selection of EF and EF-S lenses, but with the fear that this is the end of the DSLR APS-C line, or the R6 for the reasons you stated, but at the cost of needing new lenses, except the 50mm which will be of limited use.

It's a hard one. I bought the R two years ago because I faced a similar conundrum, but it was an expensive change, so I feel your pain.

Good luck and good light.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I did not consider that some lenses could not be mounted or have very poor performance on new body, had silly idea that adapter would magically solve all my issues. Seems I have some reading to do, this is why I use these forums to get better understanding from those who actually know this type of stuff. So again, thank you for the information, very helpful!

-- hide signature --
 CaffeineOD's gear list:CaffeineOD's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow