Shorter lifespan of Sony cameras, intentional?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
velatura New Member • Posts: 7
Shorter lifespan of Sony cameras, intentional?

My journey with Sony has been a love-hate relationship; they seems more likely to break down than other brands. Do you think that is intentional so consumers can spend more?

-

My first digital camera was the Sony Mavica and I loved it back then, later on, I had played with several Sony handicams and compacts from schools, owned at least 3 Sony smartphones. All my Sony products have some kinds of mechanical or electrical breakdowns after 2 years. In contrast, I have owned Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, and Panasonic. I have only done minor repairs on the Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, but cases are rare (knob contact problem easily solved with solvent, mechanical failure which I glued on, and broken ribbon cable for moving parts). Hell, the 16 years old Canon 350D is still in perfect working condition.

-

When A7 first came out I was both excited and disappointed. I wrote a post about the engineering flaws I noticed and was slammed by the Sony fan-boys. Due to that reason I have not switched to e-mount until last year for work and that 2nd hand has become affordable enough nowadays. I got the A7S2 and I love it before some buttons stopped functioning. I did a search on Google and it seems to be a common issue, costs about 300 bucks to repair at service center.

-

The early light bulb invented is still running after more than 100 years, over the years corporates have mastered the art of designing electrical appliances to fail after warranty. Could this be the same case with Sony but less with the other camera brands? Want to know your Sony experience too.

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow