Iliah Borg wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Steve BB wrote:

Are colour profiles meant to be 'exact'

No.

At least not if generated from a generic calibration target.

Actual SSF measurements of the sensor are going to give the best results, but there will always be tradeoffs when you're dealing with a Bayer CFA, and getting SSF measurement requires equipment that 99.9%+ of the population won't have access to.

A comparison of the price of equipment and time necessary to setup a high quality target borrowing / renting a spectroradiometer starts to look like a better option.

I've only seen one person (Glenn Butcher) come close to a reasonably affordable solution that seems to deliver OK results. Iliah and Alexey have Spectron which is more affordable than most SSF solutions, but still pretty expensive and out of reach for most people.

Takes less than $1000 to build, and if you already have a spectrometer like ColorMunki or i1Pro, it's even cheaper.

The MC1-02 monochromator alone is $2000.

AFAIK most builders got their monochromators from e-bay for 10 to 20% of that price.

Aha.  Will have to check that out

.. https://www.dynasil.com/product-category/mini-chrom-monochromators/standard-monochromator/

Every integrating sphere I've tried to find is also $$$$$

AFAIK most build their own, it's easy and instructions are available through googling.

Most of the references I see are to ones used solely for measuring lumen output of flashlights, and would be spectrally questionable...  Or have the designs such as seen over at CPF ones that (despite not using teflon or barium sulfate which I would assume would greatly increase cost and using uncoated styrofoam or matte white paint) are still spectrally acceptable for these purposes and/or can have their spectral flaws calibrated out?

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow