Sh2-119, The Clamshell Nebula

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rutgerbus Senior Member • Posts: 2,287
Sh2-119, The Clamshell Nebula

Sharpless 119 is a large emission nebula covering about three degrees of the sky in the constellation Cygnus. It is not often photographed, likely the result of its proximity to its photogenic neighbours, the North America and Pelican nebula, just two degrees east. The large, bright star in the center is 68 Cygni and is about 5th magnitude. It also filled with some nice Bok globules and dark dust lanes annotated in the LDN and LBN database.

While I found that the Ha emission signal for this nebula was reasonably strong, the SII was much weaker, and the OIII was hardly even visible in an 8h stack. So i set my initial idea to make a Hubble Pallet aside and came up with this more natural looking image. All together I amassed more than 24 hours of data in both Ha, Oiii and Sii (all with ASI1600MM cool and WOGT71 from my iOptron CEM25p).

Maybe I will try to get a more Hubble Pallet look to it in a reprocess-attempt.

Hope you like it.

-- hide signature --

www.rutgerbus.nl
Photographic Moments
A photon only stops "existing" when it is captured by your sensor.

Rutgerbus's gear list:Rutgerbus's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow