FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,415
Re: FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Freedolin wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Freedolin wrote:

But even though it's not an 'official' abbreviation (but used by Nikon itself), for anyone shooting or familiar with older generation Nikkor lenses, 'AF-D' describes a screw-driven lens that provides distance information.

Not "anyone". I and others shoot older generation Nikkors and know perfectly well that AF-D does not mean external autofocus motor. I don't get it. It seems like you are advocating for perpetuating confusion and leaving people misinformed.

That's certainly not my intention, no.

I am honestly a bit surprised how that topic escalated

I have been living under the impression that 'AF-D' is used synonymously for 'AF D' lenses, explicitely not including AF-I or AF-S D lenses. That gives the following nomenclature for autofocus lenses that I, personally, and the few other Nikonians I know, all use and find completely logical:

• AF (non-D)
  • AF-D
  • AF-I
  • AF-S
  • AF-P

You might think it's logical, but it's misleading, because it leads people to believe that the -D designation tells you something about AF, in the same way that the -I, -S and -P suffixes do.

The list is also incomplete.  If we wanted such a list, to incorporate both the type of AF and the type of diaphragm control, it might look like this:

• AF
  • AF D
  • AF G
  • AF-I D
  • AF-S D
  • AF-S G
  • AF-S E
  • AF-P G
  • AF-P E

The only thing that doesn't fit into this simplified naming scheme is the already mentioned AF DX 10.5/2.8 G Fisheye. Following that scheme, everything 'AF-D' is screw-driven.

But maybe I'm living in a Nikonian bubble that is not 'nitpicky' enough... even though I am typically accused of being just that

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow