FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,437
Re: FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Freedolin wrote:

But even though it's not an 'official' abbreviation (but used by Nikon itself), for anyone shooting or familiar with older generation Nikkor lenses, 'AF-D' describes a screw-driven lens that provides distance information.

And the 10.5/2.8 DX G is also an AF-D lens?

Well, technically it is, but you have a point of course, no one in the Nikonian community would call it that way Ok, to make my statement nitpicking-proof, let me add:'AF-D' describes a screw-driven lens that provides distance information and has an aperture ring.

My point is that this is a G lens and will not AF on the FTZ, just like half a dozen other G lenses, and unlike a good dozen D lenses that DO AF on the FTZ. I don't want to repeat the entire argument I made elsewhere in this thread, but in my view, "D" is entirely un-informative regarding the ability of a lens to AF on the FTZ (because "D" is not an AF feature at all).

"This lens does not AF on the FTZ because it does not have an internal focus motor" is a 100% a accurate description of the problem, while "this lens does not AF on the FTZ because it's a D lens" is wrong in both ways: Because there are G lenses that don't focus and D lenses that do.

Better?

No. How about this lens? It's not AF-D, so it will focus on the FTZ, right?

https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/226-nikkor-af-180mm-f28-if-ed-review--test-report

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow