FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,600
Re: FTZ adapter firmware update broke autofocus on 18-35mm D?

Freedolin wrote:

What you have discovered is that the AF-D nomenclature is misleading. The 300/4 D is just as much a D lens as all the other D lenses, and there is more than a dozen D lenses that do have internal AF motors. The relevant categories are AF, AF-I, AF-S, AF-P, not "D or not D".

Well, yes, it's misleading, because it's not the official nomenclature, and at the same time it's not

Technically you're right that the D simply states that the lens communicates distance information to the camera. This is, however, true for any AF-I, AF-S or AF-P lens, so in short for any Nikkor with a built-in AF motor (as has been already mentioned in the discussion). The fact that only a few AF-I and AF-S lenses exist with the D in their official name is simply because Nikon stopped using the D designation shortly after the few AF-I and the first AF-S lenses were introduced.

But even though it's not an 'official' abbreviation (but used by Nikon itself), for anyone shooting or familiar with older generation Nikkor lenses, 'AF-D' describes a screw-driven lens that provides distance information.

And the 10.5/2.8 DX G is also an AF-D lens?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow