Fungus (?) inside RF 70-200 F4 L

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Sinawang Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Fungus (?) inside RF 70-200 F4 L

Dan W wrote:

I gather all my silica gels I have and put it around my 70-200 while I look for compact dry cabinets.

How old are your silica gels? they dont last that long once they absorb all the water it can.

Yes Canon doesn't cover lens from fungus under warranty. That's too bad as it translates how the lens sealings integrity which is part of the lens manufacturing.

Again its not a "Air Tight seal" and never claimed to be. May I ask what part of the country do you live? I'm in Ohio, Ohio summers can be pretty brutal but we go most of the summer in the air-conditioning. Some days its humid and some its just hot and dry. I personally never had a fungus issue even though I have had condensation inside the lens after walking out to the air into hot 80%+ RH.

But its important to kill the fungus to stop it from growing and spreading to even other lenses on your bag. UV lights are cheap and maybe let it set in front of one for a few weeks when not in use with the caps off and shinning into the lens.

I understand your frustration though. I really wish you the best here. Please at least talk to canon about this, if its not too old (that lens hasn't been out too long) then they may still take care of you even if its not covered. Be nice and pleasant on the phone and see what they do for you. I've gotten upgraded for free to 1st class for nothing more then asking and being pleasant.

I'm not sure of how old my silica gels are, but I'm restocking myself, and now I'm looking for portable UV light and compact dry cabinet. Never thought I will truly need all of these. I used to only put some silica gel sachets in my camera bags. I live in Asia.

What I'm asking is not about if the seals are air tight or not, but the integrity of the seal from preventing dust particles which are relatively bigger than air particles, where fungus spores might sticks on that dust particles, hope that make sense for Canon to understand this issue.

Sinawang's gear list:Sinawang's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow