Are these NOSS satellites?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: Are these NOSS satellites?

CharlesPhillips wrote:

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

<snip>

I wonder if anybody has captured them. NASA might like an image for their Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

The amateur community doesn't track them because they are well documented in the Satellite Catalog, but I will try to get a photo or two when the weather improves here in Houston, Texas. They should be easy to photograph. I have photographed the DMSP and NOAA POES satellites (just for practice).

That would be great! I assumed that they would be hard to capture except at high latitudes due to the 1:30 AM equator crossing time. The project, if not APOD, will appreciate the shot.

The "A-Train" name is classic NASA. It is factually based, with an attached cultural reference. It is officialy called the A-train because there is a series of satellites passing overhead in he early Afternoon, like a train. The cultural reference is to Duke Ellington's great jazz piece from 1939, "Take the A-Train", which in turn refers to a subway line in New York City. The line ran from Brooklyn to Harlem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY

A bit of NASA trivia and American social and cultural history. I hope it is not too far off topic.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow