Dangerous places

Started Sep 4, 2021 | Photos thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 7,044
Left! No right! (the reply was to the OP)

During an avalanche survey following a major avalanche cycle in the Cascades mostly on January 13, 2021. Flying in a friend's Cessna - he is a good retired professional pilot and Alaskan bush pilot - at 130mph and taking photos while trying to navigate through valleys, passes, and cols of the North Cascades is challenging. Besides, the wind was unexpectedly gusty close to the crest this day.

My friend probably did not feel stressed but did not like the sudden drops in the near the crest areas. Mostly we flew a few miles east of those gusty winds. For me, though, it feels a lot safer skiing this terrain than flying through it. Spectacular, though.

Evidence of a January 13th large valley-filling wet slide center bottom, and a thick, likely 10'-12' avalanche crown center right. We have done these flights several times through the Cascades. On this occasion ten days after the event most of the evidence of the starting zones for avalanches at higher elevations had been filled in by substantial more recent snows. In the valleys it had mostly rained.

2000' wall on Bonanza Peak with what appears to be a 3-4' slab crown beneath. My climbing buddy Mark (still gym climb) did the first ascent of this buttress with a group of visiting Russian climbers 30+- years ago.

The "heart" of the North Cascades with the glacier flowing to 3800' and 8800' Eldorado on the right. There are two crowns on Eldorado that look to be 10-12' thick.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow