What trick can I use for focus shifting lens?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
calin Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: What trick can I use for focus shifting lens?

Howard wrote:

Calin- I tried what you describe with my R24-105 lens and it did not work. Are you suggesting that only the lenses you list will work this way?

Hello Howard,

I 've only tried with my listed lenses. The intent was to work around the focus shift my lens has.  RF 24-105F4 isn't known to have focus shift.  However, if you still want to manual focus at a given aperture, which step didn't worked?

1. I've changed the location of the DOF preview to the AF point button -

this is the button on the back of the camera (on the top right)

2. Set the lens to manual focus - this is obvious as your lens has the AF MF switch

So far step 1 and 2 should work for your lens.

Note, I've also set the "AF on" button to focus when pressed and disable focusing from the shutter button.  Not sure the impact of not doing that.

To focus:

Set the aperture3 as desired.

Press the AF point button (now DOF preview).  You should notice the change in the depth of field while the button is pressed.  While holding the button pressed, focus using the focus ring.

You can either have the magnified image in the viewfinder or the focus aid (the one with a rectangle that turns green when focus is achieved) to help with the focusing.

calin's gear list:calin's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow