Old full frame Canon's are such a good deal

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
an_also
an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: Old full frame Canon's are such a good deal

TempusFugit2012 wrote:

Mongrel wrote:

Great post. “Contentment is wanting what you HAVE.”

When I feel the G.A.S. coming on I will sometimes go back and do a search for all the images taken with an older body and good lenses.

When I see whst was accomplished with the various 1D\5D\etc models I realize just how much serious photography can STILL be done with them.

And how much work my technique still needs that won’t be helped by purchasing a new body.

Now…lenses?

THAT’S a different story! Lol

Ooooo....you make a good point there, at least from my position. Two more examples:

• If I'm going to spend $1,300.00 USD, I'm going to look at a new Canon 100mm macro (I've had my eye on the Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM for a very long time).
  • If I'm going to spend $5,000.00 USD, I'm going to look at a used Canon 400mm 2.8 or 4.0 DO (the used 2.8 is harder to find, but I recently drooled over one online).

In either case those purchases would expand my range by giving me outstanding prime glass and more options for portraits/macro (in the first example) or super telephoto for BIF or sports (in the second example). But a $6,000.00 USD purchase of a new Canon RF body only gives the same range of result. YMMV of course; I'm just speaking about me.

Of course the second example would be harder to hide from my wife, but that's for a different thread all together.

Cheers,

Marc

I bought a used 400 DO V2 three years ago and it was the best photography decision I’ve ever made.

-- hide signature --

My wildlife photography:
https://www.instagram.com/anand_iyer/

an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow