Downgrading from Big Sur to Catalina

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
kierenlon
kierenlon Contributing Member • Posts: 974
Re: Downgrading from Big Sur to Catalina

wklee wrote:

I was given a Mac mini (2014) with 4GB RAM and 500GB of storage. Cannot upgrade the RAM and storage as it's soldered on. A relative of mine without backing up first, upgraded Catalina to Big Sur and now finds it slow and wants to downgrade to Catalina.

I tried SuperDuper as I had it for years. SuperDuper 3.3.x seems very slow. Carbon Copy Cloner appears quicker. CCC finished the job in over 1 hour.

Doesn't SuperDuper work with Big Sur? I left the App running for at least 6 hours. After 6 hours It was still at the format disk stage. I used Disk Utility to format my external Hard Disk to APFS. Was ExFAT originally.

Both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper are trial versions.

No direct downgrade to Catalina from Big Sur. I must reformat it first.

You can't downgrade - it's a re-install so make sure to back up your data.

Perhaps you should clearly define what "slow" is.   Is it slower transcoding 4K video? Is is slower loading websites?  Is it slower copying 2000 jpegs from USB disk to system disk?

If you clarify the problem,  the cause may not be the OS at all but something else.   An app that needs an update / reinstall?  A memory hog,  thermals, etc

kierenlon's gear list:kierenlon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow