Computer for SPP, please recommend one

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,569
Re: Computer for SPP, please recommend one

Tom Schum wrote:

It is time for me to upgrade my 5-year-old Core i5 laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Last night I got a little too agressive removing "unnecessary" programs, and now I can't proceed without reloading Windows. It's just as well, though, because some difficult-to-remove adware was causing problems anyway. So I'll just remove the HDD and copy off the data without worrying too much. For now, I'm on the Chromebook....

Looks like I will have to spend at least $1500 for a new Windows machine capable of respectable speed on SPP. I don't want to go above $2200. Not interested in an Apple product; been there, done that.

Basically I am starting with these things: minimum 16gb ram, Windows 10 with hardware to support Windows 11 when it comes, desktop form factor, some sort of graphics card, maybe two HDMI ports.

Dell is looking fairly good but they allow a big selection of graphics cards and I don't have any idea which is a good combination of cost and performance. I'm not looking for world-class speed, just something that can allow SPP to process a parameter change (move a slider, take a click white balance, etc.) with a 61mp fp L image open, in less than 10 seconds or so. Am I setting the bar too low?

Any comments and/or recommendations will be much appreciated!

I have had good luck with Asus laptops. My latest one is an 2020 Asus ROG G531GT 15.6 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop (9th Gen Intel 6-Core i7-9750H up to 4.50 GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1650

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow