The 7% Dilemma

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
moji Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: The 7% Dilemma

In fact, I got very depressed recently, after buying the K-1 MKII. I was out of the market in several years and when I bought the K1 2, I had a look at the new lenses. Fortunately, I have a good deal FF lenses which I bought for K10D and K5. What depressed me was, I realized that most of the new lenses are rebadged Tamron lenses, and a few of them the double price of the original!
Pentax was a brand famous for their great lenses, specially for their primes. No, have they stopped the lens production at all? Because what remains from the rebadged Tamrons, are old FA lenses, optimized for digital.
I think, the reason for the fall is the strange strategy Ricoh has chosen. They have just two three model cameras, all top quality, but nothing to invite newcomers into the system. This way, they might keep their niche customers, but they will not expand. People see that, for example, Pentax has a great camera, like K3 III, but not so many new lenses. No third party lens producer support them, and what they get is only overpriced Tamron lenses. What tempt them to get into this system?
Just ten years ago, we had several dslr models, we got the Q, they experimented with the K01, Pentax mx1, and a great range of compact cameras.
I remember when the mirrorless system became popular, I thought, Pentax should make their APCS cameras, in mirrorless, and start with a DSLR FF. They came so late with the K1, and on the way, they didn't give any indication about a Pentax FF, that many Pentaxians left for other systems.
Unfortunately, I don't think, they will change the trend, and therefore, I am afraid, Pentax will eventually die.

moji's gear list:moji's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow