Sigma 45mm vs Panasonic S 50mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Sigma 45mm vs Panasonic S 50mm

I have both. they have different strengths… the sigma is nice to use for stills, particularly if you like to shoot fully manual. it has a nice aperture ring, better build quality and, classic styling. I don't find the aperture limiting, at 45mm f2.8 you can get some nice subject separation when framed right.

the Panasonic 50mm is a nicer all around hybrid stills and video lens. its slightly bigger although it’s not a great difference, and the build quality doesn't feel quite as high. theres no aperture ring but you get a much bigger focus ring which i find better if you manual focus video. Speaking of video, it has much better AFC performance in video vs the sigma. The sigma is very slow to acquire focus in comparison. It also performs a bit better optically at f2.8 vs the sigma, at f1.8 you might notice a bit of fringing in high contrast areas if you peep.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow