LP-E6 vs LP-E6N vs LP-E6NH self discharge

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jgveill New Member • Posts: 6
LP-E6 vs LP-E6N vs LP-E6NH self discharge

Some months ago I bought a new 90D and immediately noted that batteries didn't last compared to my 20D. With my 20D I never encountered any self discharged battery. With the 90D - LP-E6N batteries, after 2 months batteries are drained, in the camera or out of the camera. This doesn't make sense, as good Li ion should self discharge at a rate lower than 2 % a month. I looked at many threads and many people complain about LP-E6N battery life. Li ion battery in my drill lasts forever.

I contacted Canon and they accepted to RMA my camera. After review, they said everything was perfect. Then I started looking at batteries.

In my recent searches, I found a quite interesting post :  "The concrete problem is the LP-E6Ns BMS (Battery Management System) which is a built in electronics in the battery: it manages balanced charging of the 2 cells, provides overvoltage protection and undervoltage protection, etc. It has some current leakage and therefore the cells discharges sooner at an unusual and excessive speed".

Nice to know but there's no way to solve the problem.  It seems that LP-E6 batteries didn't have that problem, but it's not possible to find any today.

The question I have, could Canon have corrected this flaw in their recent LP-E6NH ? Could they have modified the battery internal circuit so that it doesn't drain the battery ? I could not find any thread on LP-E6NH self draining sot that looks good.

To those who own LP-E6NH batteries, did you see a difference with the LP-E6N ?

Canon EOS 20D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow