Ae-lock and Re-Compose

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,732
Re: Ae-lock and Re-Compose

Jcbailey wrote:

I'm confused on how AE-lock works. I was adivsed and also tried this. Walk into a room point at what i want to capture, lock the exposure with AE-lock. re-compose and take the shot. in theory the shot should have the same exposure as when i locked it. I don't see this.

for example. i went into a dark room and found some light. i metered the light and my Shutter was at 1/200 to see if it was right i metered the dark spot and it was 1/60. so i Ae-locked the 1/200 from the light locked it re-composed and the shot came out dark. my camera focused again while i pressed the shutter all the way down and took whatever shot it wanted. I was in AV mode with a fixed iso.

What happend?

When I use AE lock, it just locks those settings in for the area or subject in frame. When I recompose, that area/subject is properly exposed. The focus is separate. If I wanted the focus locked, then use AF lock. When using AE lock, the subject I metered on should still be in the frame, but it will refocus at half-press.

Using AE lock is similar to setting the exposure in Manual Exposure Mode. The camera is doing what it was told.

Focus/recompose and meter/recompose are two different things.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow