Ae-lock and Re-Compose

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Jcbailey Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Ae-lock and Re-Compose

hobbit mob wrote:

Jcbailey wrote:

I'm confused on how AE-lock works. I was adivsed and also tried this. Walk into a room point at what i want to capture, lock the exposure with AE-lock. re-compose and take the shot. in theory the shot should have the same exposure as when i locked it. I don't see this.

for example. i went into a dark room and found some light. i metered the light and my Shutter was at 1/200 to see if it was right i metered the dark spot and it was 1/60. so i Ae-locked the 1/200 from the light locked it re-composed and the shot came out dark. my camera focused again while i pressed the shutter all the way down and took whatever shot it wanted. I was in AV mode with a fixed iso.

What happend?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that sounds like it did exactly what it was supposed to do. If the shot came out dark, I assume it used the 1/200 shutter speed? If so, it locked that in. If you metered against the light, it'll choose a faster shutter speed to try to get the light metered correctly, it will ignore the rest of the frame (if you have center weighted/spot metering on). The rest of the room should be dark and the light should be exposed correctly. If it re-metered in the dark area, it would choose a lower shutter speed (probably limited to 1/60 by default) to expose the shadows.

check your custom settings to see how you have your AE lock button and shutter set up. Check for press/hold, AF/AE lock settings, shutter settings (behavior when you press it, it can meter/take a photo/autfocus and some variations of those).

So let me get this correct if it metered at 1/200 it suppose to be dark because a higher shutter speed is dark. if it metered at 1/60 that means it has more light? is this correct? i was at 16000 iso. probably not enough light. i guess

Jcbailey's gear list:Jcbailey's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Apple iPhone 12
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow