Fv Mode Confusion

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Sinawang Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Two DIFFERENT shutter mode "limits" - Wrong one being used here

Karl_Guttag wrote:

If I understand what is going on correctly, this subject came up in another topic about a week ago. (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65430749). After a bunch of back and forth, the issue is that there are not one but two different types of shutter limits.

The first is in the red/camera menu (Red/Camera Menu 2 under ISO Speed Settings). The shutter speed range there is NOT the one you set to limit the shutter speed when the shutter speed is in AUTO. As far as I can tell, this value has NO effect on the shutter speed value in the Fv (or M) modes. You need to set the Orange Custom Functions 2 menu (see below) to set the shutter speed range limit.

Quoting from my post on the solution:

The way I restrict the shutter speed is under the Orange menu (Custom Functions) Tab 2, "Set Shutter Speed Range." This will take you to a screen that will let you set the upper and lower shutter speed range that WILL cause the auto-range of the shutter speed to stop.

It is confusing that they have two ways of "limiting" the shutter speed range. It is doubly confusing that the ISO range is set in the red menu, and the shutter speed range (and Av range) is set in the Orange menu.

Thanks for the link.

Fortunately for what I do I mainly prioritize the shutter speed at full control and prefer the ISO to be at Auto and manually adjusted as needed, so I wont be bothered as much as others about this minimum SS at Auto ISO setting, at least now I know how and where to set that up.

Sinawang's gear list:Sinawang's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow