Trip to Antarctica, what to bring / upgrade

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153
100-400gm rather than 200-600g

I have both those lenses and the 100-400 is my reasonable travel lighter lens.  In the same back pack as it and can pack everything else.  With the 200-600 g I have it's own dedicated back pack just for it.  Oh, another big advantage of the 100-400 is it doubles as a near macro lens for close work while the 200-600 really can't go there.
So if I was in your shoes and wanted a longer lens with some versatility it'd be the 100-400gm.
As far as upgrading the body, you can pick up my A7r4 at Roberts Camera as I traded it in on new lenses today as I'm just found myself not going to use it anymore after I got the A1.  More resolution can be helpful with either the A1 or A7r4 on the long end as you can pop to APS-C mode and save storage rather than crop later and get more reach for the critter shots out of the 100-400.
Other that my comments on body resolution and which long lens to grab for a trip, I don't know.  There might be some amazing Milky Way shots down there so the 24 1.4 might help there.  
Sounds like an amazing trip!!  Hope the transit country covid rules allow this to happen!  We've got a major trip in May overseas and we are watching that covid rules every couple of weeks.  Any pop up variant could wreak havoc on trip plans.  In our case 12/31/2021 is make or break decision time to get our money back.  Hopefully you've got clauses on your trip funds related.
Looking forward for some amazing shots!!

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Sony a1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow