Glacier National Park photo locations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153
Two spots on the northern frontier of Glacier

There is a little known nothern area of the International Peace Park as they call it on the Canadian side with a little town called Waterton. You can take a boat ride to Goat Haunt which in the US portion and cross the border. It's an actual line on the mountains which is pretty odd.

Anyway, just as you head into town you'll see a hike called Bear Hump. The view from there is really spectacular.

I have no idea of the covid restrictions of crossing the border, but that's not near as crowded and has some great hiking.

If you are flying into Spokane with SW airlines, some of the rental car companies with 'unlimited' mileage will ding you for that 20 mile crossing into Canada so if you are going there that way check. Avis was fine last time we did it.

The Bear Hump hike is a mere 1.8 miles round trip but has a 738 foot elevation gain.

Here's a web link about the park

https://www.glacierparkcollection.com/lodging/prince-of-wales-hotel/stories/hiking-the-bears-hump-waterton-national-park/

Here's a shot I took with the A9 and 12-24 F4 G lens from the top of Bear Hump (my wife's and my feet)

and - a very short distance from there if you spend the night in the area is a international dark sky area called Cameron Lake where I snaged this milkyway shot with the same camera/lens setup

While this highlights two of my favorite spots on the Canadian side of Glacier, it's pretty spectacular everywhere. There a numerous spots on the Going to the Sun Road as well. I just prefer the Canadian side as it's not so crazy crowded as there is very limited lodging.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Sony a1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow