Fv Mode Confusion

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,152
Two DIFFERENT shutter mode "limits" - Wrong one being used here

Sinawang wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

SigZero wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

While the camera is "metering" the iso can't be switched back to auto. You need to wait a little bit I think (you can set the metering time lower, the lowest I think is 4s).

I also use Fv most of the time.

In my R5, I keep the control wheel for aperture, front dial for exposure compensation, and the Fv setting most of the time is in the speed, so I can change those three parameters without moving the Fv setting (just with the other wheels). when I want to go back to auto speed, I just press the bin button, etc.

I thought that I'll love Fv mode until I've discovered that Auto ISO settings are not effective in this mode - so If I need some custom shutter speed in auto I need to use Av

Br, Paweł.

I commented that In other thread already, I can’t understand why the auto iso minimum shutter speed is not working in this mode, come on Canon!

Do you mean the shutter speed in AutoISO bypasses the minimum limit that we preset?

If I understand what is going on correctly, this subject came up in another topic about a week ago. (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65430749). After a bunch of back and forth, the issue is that there are not one but two different types of shutter limits.

The first is in the red/camera menu (Red/Camera Menu 2 under ISO Speed Settings). The shutter speed range there is NOT the one you set to limit the shutter speed when the shutter speed is in AUTO.  As far as I can tell, this value has NO effect on the shutter speed value in the Fv (or M) modes. You need to set the Orange Custom Functions 2 menu (see below) to set the shutter speed range limit.

Quoting from my post on the solution:

The way I restrict the shutter speed is under the Orange menu (Custom Functions) Tab 2, "Set Shutter Speed Range." This will take you to a screen that will let you set the upper and lower shutter speed range that WILL cause the auto-range of the shutter speed to stop.

It is confusing that they have two ways of "limiting" the shutter speed range. It is doubly confusing that the ISO range is set in the red menu, and the shutter speed range (and Av range) is set in the Orange menu.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow