Fv Mode Confusion

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Sinawang Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Note - Turning the Control Ring Resets the Exposure Timer

Karl_Guttag wrote:

Sinawang wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

While the camera is "metering" the iso can't be switched back to auto. You need to wait a little bit I think (you can set the metering time lower, the lowest I think is 4s).

So, the metering work is the culprit? That's why I can't figure out, my mind didn't think as far as what you told me.

Once you "lock" exposure (with say a half shutter press) then the exposure timer kicks in. Turning the control ring WHILE the exposure timer is running will reset the timer and you have to wait again. Thus if you keep turning the control ring, the exposure timer will lock you out of getting back to Auto (IMO, a dumb way for it to work).

If you were in AUTO-ISO when you locked the exposure, then if you don't touch the control ring, it will go back to Auto when the timer runs out.

If you were in "Auto-ISO" then moved to a fixed ISO and then say did a half-press, then you will start the timer and not be able to get back to auto ISO using the control ring until the timer expires. If you wait and don't touch the ring then after the timer expires you can get back. You can use something like the M-Fn button to get you back to Auto ISO without waiting for the time.

The key point here is that once you start the exposure timer can't get back to Auto ISO, by turning the control ring. Continuing to turn the control ring just keeps you locked out. You have to wait for the exposure timer to time out (a variable setting) or use the M-Fn or back LCD or some other way to get back to Auto.

That is thorough explanation for why it's so confusing for me when I first realize of this strange behaviour with this mode.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you to spare your time to explain this detailed.

Sinawang's gear list:Sinawang's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow