Nikon Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 compared to Canon RF 70-200 f/4

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 23,324
Re: Nikon Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 vs Canon RF 70-200 f/4

jetstream wrote:

The Z 24-200 is even sharper than the Z 70-200/2.8:

This depends on

a) do you want good resolution into the frame corners over a wide range of apertures - where the 70-200 is better, or central performance rather than corner performance?

b) Somewhat relevant to me - the 24-200 performs less well in this MTF 50 test site result at 24mm.

c) to you want f2.8 ability?

d) do you regard this single source limited comparison as "proof" the 24-200 is always a "sharper" lens. I am old enough to know maybe not.

My view as an owner of both lenses is that while the 24-200 is extremely good for a compact zoom, factoring in maximum aperture, AF speed (distinctly chalk and  cheese), evenness of illumination across the frame and build quality the 70-200 is for me distinctly the best overall performer.

Having just started the final year of my 8th decade there are times when saving weight for "casual shooting" brings the 24-200 to front of queue.

When I want the best optical quality and resolution the 24-200 stays at home.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HUN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow