Canon R5 with Sigma 105mm f1.4 vs canon RF 85 1.2

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: Canon R5 with Sigma 105mm f1.4 vs canon RF 85 1.2

thunder storm wrote:

bernie r wrote:

RF 85 1.2

Faster AF

I can't imagine the speed of the 105 Art wouldn't be adequate for it's typical use.

Full AF points

I never noticed the Art can't be used with all AF points. I think the Sigma can be used with all relevant AF points.

Better flare & glare handling

I believe you

Sharper

I believe you

Better ergonomics

Weight distribution(Sigma is incredibly front heavy)

This is one and the same point

More pleasing bokeh

I don't think the RF 85mm f/1.2 has more pleasing bokeh in every situation for every aperture according to the opinion of all viewers.

Doesn't require an adapter

So no drop in filters

Sigma 105 Art:

Cheaper

I just looks like you have a hard time to justify the price you've payed for the RF f/1.2 if this is the only upside you can mention about the 105 Art.

Was the better flare and glare handling, more AF points, more sharpness etc. not good enough to outweigh the benefits of the 105mm Art?

I got my RF 85 1.2 for only £1459, it was a no brainer to sell my Sigma, and yes, the sigma doesn't have all AF points across the frame available on my R5. I would've still got the RF 85 1.2 over the Sigma at full price, it's consistently better, also who needs a drop in filter when you have a VND for the 82mm filter thread? There's nothing wrong with the Sigma if that's what you can afford, it's a great lens but it obviously isn't as good as the RF. You can take that as me saying it's a bad lens if you want..?

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 100 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Ronin S2 Gimbal
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Gitzo Adventury 45L

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow