Z 35 1.8 or 40 2.0?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
seansene Forum Member • Posts: 55
Z 35 1.8 or 40 2.0?

So I've been using the Z 50mm 1.8 for nearly a year and of course love its optical quality, but for a number of the photos that I take (family events), I'm beginning to find that it frames just a little too tight. I borrowed the Z 35mm 1.8 and saw that I could let the subjects breathe a bit more, so to speak. At a birthday, for example, I could get both the  person and cake in the picture, instead of all of one and half of the other, without constantly having to step back. That gives more context and makes for better storytelling. At one gathering I even managed the entire evening (food, small groups up close, big group from further away) on the 35, instead of switching between 50 and 24-70 f4.

So I'm seriously considering getting that 35. But here's the thing, I miss the size of my old 50 1.8G, which, no matter what else I carried, I could always throw into the bag without another thought because of how compact it was. Neither the Z 50 nor 35 lenses fit that category, but from the roadmap silhouette, the upcoming 40, at around half the length of those two, might just be that. Of course, optics and performance at the moment are unknown, as is its release date.

So here are the choices I think I have: 1) Stay with the 50 for the moment, wait for the 40 and make my evaluation then (Pro: the most informed choice, minimize cost. Con: sub-optimal shots in the meantime, the wait...) or 2) Get the 35 and live with the bulk (pro: immediate gratification, probably the better optical quality. Con: living with the bulk, wondering what if...?)

Any suggestions?

seansene's gear list:seansene's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow