Nikon Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 compared to Canon RF 70-200 f/4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP DaveR43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,560
Re: Nikon Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 compared to Canon RF 70-200 f/4

dspoel wrote:

Thanks for sharing, it almost looks too good to be true, especially since I have seen mention that the long end is the weaker part of the 24-200.

In addition, I would think that the design of a 24-200 involves more compromise than a relatively simple 70-200.

By the ePhotozine measurements, the long end of the Nikon 24-200 is weaker than the mid-range; but still very respectable.  Other sites have also shown results that are pretty good at the long end, albeit not as sparkling as the mid-range.

The Canon has the wider f/4 aperture throughout the range, which would increase complexity; it has 16 elements.

My personal experience of the Nikon 24-200 is that the results across the board are fantastic for my uses.  Used on a Z6 II I've been able to achieve great images both outdoors and indoors; even at ISO 12,800, the Z6 II images are great when properly exposed and with judicious noise management applied.

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HUN
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow