R5: Choice of 85mm lens

Started Aug 27, 2021 | Discussions thread
bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: R5: Choice of 85mm lens

thunder storm wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

We need a mirrorless Sigma RF 85mm f1.4 dg dn.

Gordon from Cameralabs said in https://www.cameralabs.com/sigma-85mm-f1-4-dg-dn-art-review/ :

"not only is the 85mm f1.4 DG DN smaller and half the weight of the earlier 85mm f1.4 DG HSM but Sigma's also improved optical performance over what was already a very respectable lens. This makes the newer DG DN version optically the best 85mm f1.4 lens I've tested so far."

(My bold.) And Gordon is not a person who is prone to unnecessary hyperbole.

He's a trustworthy reviewer in my book.

It is so frustrating that this (along with a few other stand-out third party lenses for mirrorless) is not available for RF mount.

It is extremely frustrating. Canon protecting it's own lens sales is understandable. However, Canon denying access to third party manufactures while not giving the same options their selves is immoral. There's a huge gap between the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm and the RF 85mm f/1.2 USM. There's a huge gap between the RF 50mm f/1.8 stm and the RF 50mm f/1.2 USM.

I prefer something better than those stm primes, especially for AF, but also for rendering and bokeh, however, needing something better is not the same as needing f/1.2 and those uneasy to handle diameters, at hideous price points.

I have an EF 85/1.4L IS, originally bought for the 5D4, which I'm overall happy with on the R5. There is some CA but this is easily fixed in post. My plan is to stick with this until the Sigma gets an RF mount, as it surely will,

I'm afraid it remains to be seen. The mirrorless sigma lens relies on in camera corrections, and if Canon doesn't allow for this it's pretty unusable unless you want to correct all your pictures in post.

eventually.

Today I almost bought a Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC again, as I'm not satisfied with the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm. I changed my mind, and decided to keep the money in the pocket. I will carry the 105mm Art and if that's too long or to heavy to bring along I will use the 50mm Art, or use the 56mm f/1.4 on the M6II if I really need a narrower angle of view.

It feels like the days of my 70D, when there was no better portrait prime available than the EF 50mm f/1.8 stm at f/2.8. At least I have good heavy options now, but 85mm or 105mm isn't used everyday, so a light weight yet stellar performing - not only for IS or contrast, but also for soft looking backgrounds AF - option would be really nice.

I'd say the 85 1.2 is worth the price.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 100 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Ronin S2 Gimbal
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Gitzo Adventury 45L

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow