image quality settings for D7500

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
DaveG16 Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: image quality settings for D7500

rubybgold wrote:

Hi all. I always shoot in manual mode, selecting my ap, shutter speed, iso, etc etc based on what I'm shooting. I almost always post-process with Photoshop to bring out the best in the images.

Saving as NEF or NEF + JPG is a logical extension of your present modality -- you have stepped away from automated settings to gain more control over your images. NEF extends that extra control on through to post-processing.

Is there a reason you are worried about buffering time and file size? For example, are you using continuous shutter to capture birds in flight and want to pack down hundreds of images so you can cull out the one or two most stunning ones? If not, today's SD card capacities and (I would think) the processing power of the D7500 would make file size almost a moot point.

Of course, the post-processing required for NEF files plunks you onto a new learning curve, one that can be a stiff climb. Myself, with maybe 10 hours of experience in RAW processing in Affinity Photo (cheap alternative to PS/LR), I have no experience  at all compared to what I'm going to need. But it's fun assimilating the tools that AP hands me, even if my most-used function is still Undo...

Of course, in-camera JPG-ing follows workflows and processes that are designed to produce what Nikon designers and marketers think their users want. If effect, they are saying, "Here's what you want to see in that image you captured."

Camera buttons and menus give you a fair amount of control over those "what everyone wants" pre-sets. Are there aspects of your JPEGs that bother you, like JPEG artefacts or noise or image degradation?

-- hide signature --

Dave G.
There are no real negatives in digital photography.

DaveG16's gear list:DaveG16's gear list
Nikon D5100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow