Review K3 mark lll?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 2,701
Re: Review K3 mark lll?

bob5050 wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

They love nostalgica and writes about it, but their business case is the future.

And now it sure looks like MILC is the future and DSLR is the past. And they have to adapt to that.

They also need to cover something new, and yet another DSLR is not all that new.

Which takes me back to the Upton Sinclair quote: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Wise words

MILCs may very well be the future--I personally think they are. But that's not where I live. The issue for the present is simple: what do MILCs offer that's significant in exchange for taking away the ability to look through the camera at the actual scene? Obviously right now, lighter weight and slightly smaller size. But that's still pretty much it. All the other advantages (50 fps? Does anyone need that?)

50fps to me means a lot of time spent deleting near identical photos to clear storage space. Even with a 12fps K-3iii I hardly ever shoot a full 12 frames in one press of the shutter (I prefer shooting in short sharp bursts, by knowing my subject matter).

The payoff, when it comes, is probably going to be a really transformative AI capability--but they don't have that yet. And today's models don't have the memory or processing power to run it if they did. Yet.

I am the first to recognise the superior AF tracking ability of the top MILCs, but to me, as well as the VF experience, the big trade off is the inferior battery life.

So DPR could say "We think MILCs are the future, this is why, and we'll tell you when it's here. In the mean time, there's no real recompense for swapping out. Yet."

But as you say, for DPR, Pentax doesn't pay the bills. So they prefer to wax poetic over what the software industry calls 'vaporware.'

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow