Review K3 mark lll?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,719
Re: Review K3 mark lll?

John_A_G wrote:

so, if the reviewer is well versed with an optical viewfinder and still doesn't see that as a big benefit over EVF, is that person a legit reviewer?

Possibly, but probably not as interesting as someone who does see it as a benefit, or understands it as a benefit for some portion of users without calling them out as dinosaurs.

Pentax starts their explanation of the five principles this way:

"When you take a picture with a single lens reflex (SLR) camera, the light passes through the lens, and in turn the optical viewfinder. You view the image directly with your eyes, and feel it with your heart. This is the unique experience you get when using an SLR."

A reviewer doesn't have to personally agree with that as an inherent superiority of SLR design, but s/he has to understand that there are those that do. Similarly, he or she has to acknowledge that, with an EVF, WYSIWYG also means WYSINWROT (what you see is not what's really out there).

I don't care as much for whether an individual reviewer falls on one side of that trade-off or the other, so long as they do understand that it IS a trade-off, not a simple old=bad, new=good progression. A balanced organization would have people on both sides.

But, the part about the viewfinder baffles me here. I was pretty sure most of the DPR review staff had extensive experience with DSLRs. Maybe I'm mistaken and they now employ people whose sole experience is with mirrorless.

I'm sure they pretty much all used SLRs at some point in the past. But we might want to raise the issue of selection bias: you don't dedicate your career to playing with all the latest gear unless you have a latent suspicion that newer must = better. IOW, a bias against raising the question "But what ae we losing, and are the gains sufficient to make that loss worthwhile?"

-- hide signature --

bob5050
All pictures I post here are SOOC, downsized 50% unless specifically identified otherwise.

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow