External microphone for Sony a6600

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
DirkPeh
DirkPeh Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: External microphone for Sony a6600

I use the A6400 with a Sennheiser MKE 440 stereo-mic. It is very good for the price. There are mono-versions available, too. I think they released just one that is smaller and more convenient than the previous ones. It is the MKE 400.

The reason that I chose the stereo version is that I record a lot of music.

A huge advantage is that it has kind of its own mic-preamp, so you can drive the low-quality noisy preamp of the Sony Alpha as low as possible.

One important thing: you should by any means not use the auto-gain function of the Sony. Set the levels manually!!! It is a bit tricky 'cause if you are in auto-mode, you can not chose to set the levels manually! The auto-gain has a radical inbuild limiter that crushes your signal and pumps (as soon as the audio signal is a bit lower, it audible amplifies the signal just adding noise and pumping).

I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fan and in comparison videos I've watched, I prefered the Sennheiser to Rode and other mics.

DirkPeh's gear list:DirkPeh's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow