Mac or PC

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ubele New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Mac or PC

Teila Day wrote:

I use Canon scanners, I can't just plug one into my macs and start scanning without a work-around (I'm generally not into work-arounds). But I can with PC, because that's what the drivers are written for. So having both platforms at arms reach works for me.

I was upset when my perfectly good 2007 Canon 8800F scanner stopped working with one of the new versions of macOS a few years ago. Then I found a program called VueScan that claimed to work with pretty much all no-longer-supported-on-the-Mac scanners. At $99, it seemed a bit pricey, but it works as advertised, and the developer keeps it updated. In any case, it was cheaper than buying a new scanner.

As for the OP's questions, I've been using Macs and Windows PCs since the 1980s -- mostly Macs at home and PCs at work. For a long time, my favorite Mac was my 2000 G4 PowerMac. I got eight years out of it, upgrading every component that could be upgraded. When it became too slow for my needs, I gave it to my dad, who got two more years out of it before it finally died. Like many Mac users, I kept holding out for the "affordable mid-range tower" that never came. Then someone pointed out that I'd spent as much money on upgraded components as I would have if I'd sold my Macs and bought new ones every two or three years.

As others have pointed out here, there isn't as much reason to upgrade components as there used to be, because the useful lifespan of Macs is so long. I got four good years out of my 2008 MacBook Pro, which was typical at the time. My 2015 13" MBP still feels as fast as the day I got it, with the exception of Luminar, which isn't happy with 8 GB of RAM. Heck, my late 2012 i7 Mac mini with 16 GB of RAM still works fine with all my apps. Yes, I replaced the stock HDD with a Fusion drive, but I could have used a bootable external SSD instead. The only reason I relegated it to a backup computer was because I bought a 2019 27" iMac, and of course the 2012 mini doesn't support Big Sur.

II confess that I considered switching to a Windows PC in 2018, when many people felt that Apple had all but given up on Macs in favor of iPhones and iPads. Most of their Mac line had old hardware and high prices. Then Apple updated many of their Macs and dropped the price by several hundred dollars, which was when I purchased my 2019 iMac. I expect it to be useful for many years to come. I'll probably replace my 2015 MBP with an Mx MBP or Air when it no longer supports the latest macOS. 1 TB of internal storage has been enough for me for several years, and I don't expect that to change. I'll get more than whatever the base-level amount of RAM is at the time. In short, I no longer worry about upgradability the way I used to. As for repairability, the only Mac I've ever needed to have repaired was my 2008 MBP, which had the faulty NVIDIA graphic adapter.

It sounds like the OP is looking for reasons to switch to a Windows PC, which is fine. This is just my opinion, but none of their stated reasons seem like compelling reasons to switch. Other posters have addressed those concerns. I don't dislike Windows 10, and when I'm in a cross-platform app (e.g., any of the Adobe apps), I can't tell the difference. I can't speak to whether Windows is harder to maintain than macOS, because my company's IT department handles the Windows maintenance. But I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem, I find macOS more elegant than Windows (subjective, I know), Apple offers products across a wide price range (they no longer subjectively seem "overpriced," as they once did), there's software available for everything I do, I'd miss Logic Pro if I switched, and I'm familiar with the Apple environment. Apple would have to do something really egregious to get me to switch to Windows.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow