Purchasing a new Mac

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP cpharm86 Senior Member • Posts: 2,590
Re: Purchasing a new Mac

Saint 112 wrote:

IMHO it's a no-brainer: get an M1 model (either iMac, Mini or MacBook Air depending on your preferences) which is more than enough for the type of type of job you are doing: PL, PS and LR. With my M1 MBA I use DxO PhotoLab and I think it'll do the job for years. Since I already owned a 32" monitor I chose to have just one computer as a desktop and a laptop. It's very convenient and very versatile.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait for the next generation, dubbed the M1X, which is expected to be even more powerful. As far as performances are concerned I don't think it's relevant for you if you don't play games and don't do professional video or music editing. I would feel attracted if the new chips had 32GB RAM instead of 16 but, aside from that, the M1 chip is more than powerful enough.

Nick

Thank you for the information. ‘m not in a hurry. Actually my plans were for the end of this year or beginning of next year. I don’t know when the new models are expected to come out.

Since I have not purchased a computer since 2012 there is some research I’m starting to do. I hear more and more about the M1.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow