NEX 5N to FF back to APS-C, perhaps

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,617
Re: NEX 5N to FF back to APS-C, perhaps

Sean_Jayhawk wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I do have some lenses left over. I have an Emount Rokinon 8mm fisheye that I loved. It's really a pretty good performer. I prefer the non-distorted look of ultra wide, but this still provides me with an option to go as wide as I'd like. No AF though.

I used to have the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8. It was the only lens I took on a trip to Africa and it was probably my favorite lens I've ever owned. At the time, it was the most I had ever spent on a lens and it was so hard to justify, but I grew more using that lens than anything else I've done. It forced me to put in the time to grow. Heh. I may get it again. I just haven't really looked at APS-C lenses since back then, though. Maybe I get this lens and that's it??? It and the Rokinon 8 fisheye once again.

Seems like it would be an ideal focal length for a “walk around” lens.  It took Sony forever to make an alternative in that FL, and that’s an FE lens.

Size though . . . that pushes me towards the 20/2.8 pancake. I'd only shoot it in good light using f/8, so that's limiting.

Why limit yourself?  You don’t have to shoot it at f8.  In my tests, it’s best at f5.6, if that’s the concern.  Center is sharp at all focal lengths, but the edges are softer until you get to 5.6.  This doesn’t behave like the 16/2.8.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow