D7500 lens upgrade suggestions

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 6,090
Re: D7500 lens upgrade suggestions

Mike Porter wrote:

I prefer primes and considering the 300mm/f4 af-s with a 1.4 converter. I live in Colorado, so wildlife opportunities are endless. I can pick the lens up used for $700, in almost new condition. I don’t think the pf version with VR is worth the extra grand, although a great lens. I like the size of the 300mm and believe it would pair well with my D7500.

I'm going to give you my standard caveats on the 300mm f/4 AF-S. First, it uses a first generation AF-S motor. Those motors can and do fail all too often. When they do, you can expect a repair bill in the $500-600 range, and that assumes your repair shop can find the needed parts. Second, the lens collar on this model is, well, controversial due to flex. Quite a few people choose to replace the collar with one from Kirk or RRS, which has the added advantage of being Arca-Swiss compatible. But that's an additional $200 out of pocket.

While I can understand your preference for a prime, I will say that my pre-D 300mm f/4 has seen very little use since I purchased a Sigma 100-400mm.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +46 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow