Does anyone still use Panasonic 20mm f/1.7?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
VolodymyrCZ Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Does anyone still use Panasonic 20mm f/1.7?

james005 wrote:

Yes absolutely love my used mark 1 copy. It is one of the sharpest lenses I have used. I owned an early version of the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 at the same time and in terms of sharpness it was disappointing by comparison although I have heard on this forum that later versions produced in another factory (Vietnam?) are better.

Pros:

Very sharp wide open at f/1.7. (In Imaging-Resource.com's review they found it sharpest at f/2 with little change until f/8). In my own experience I'd confidently say its one of M4/3's top lenses in terms of sharpness - I have bought and sold a lot, including the Voigtlander 17mm 0.95

Beautiful rendering of the image and bokeh is great too. I find the photos have a pleasing and distinct character - better than most. I find its images are a cut above s

Its highly portable - I'd love to see more pancake lenses.

Bargain price, I paid £160 for mine - just less than half the price I paid for a new Olympus 17mm f1.8 (£340)

I actually like the 40mm equivalent focal length as its not as distorted as the 35mm equivalent. So much so that I'd choose it if I was forced to have only one.

It has autofocus!

Cons:

Banding in images on older cameras in dark scenes with high ISO images, but no problems with my E-M5 mkiii as yet.

Slow and noisy autofocus in comparison to other lenses but not a problem unless there is a moving object. But think about all those manual focus lenses without any autofocus, some more expensive.

Conclusion:

Its sharp, has great image characteristics, a great focal length; a useful multipurpose prime lens. I consider it absolute bargain especially if you get a good used copy. Its a lens I would never sell unless I changed system.

Also of interest: on 21 July 2021, 43rumours.com published a rumor for an Olympus 20mm f/1.4 (starting a series of f/1.4 lenses). Yet, I doubt I would be tempted as the compact size of the Panasonic 20mm makes it so useful.

Great summary! Exactly my thoughts on this little gem:)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DKG
DKG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow