D7500 lens upgrade suggestions

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
sarah11918
sarah11918 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: D7500 lens upgrade suggestions

I really enjoy my 70-300 (Tamron) on my D7500, and use it most of the time. I go for nature walks (usually interested in birds, bees, butterflies) completely on foot, from doorstep to nature trail and back, and I find it's a very reasonable compromise between giving some decent length, able to reach both birds and insects, while being light enough to be out walking for a few hours. If a steal on a 100-400 showed up, I wouldn't look away, but since I do so much walking, and can't be bothered to take a tripod, the 200-500 just isn't on my radar.

I have a 35mm and 50mm that I'll take on a trip in case I'm indoors/with family, but when it's usually just me walking around in nature, especially since I'm more likely to capture *things* than places, I'm happier to have the higher image quality of the 70-300 vs a more all-purpose lense like a 18-300mm.

I don't know when I could justify it for myself, but I would like to have the chance to play with a medium-longish macro lens for smaller flying critters. So I'm always keeping an eye on my local used market for that. The Tamron 90mm seems like a solid choice, but I recently saw a listing and some positive reviews for the IRIX 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 that has me intrigued for backyard possibilities.

sarah11918's gear list:sarah11918's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow