70-300mm AF speed vs the 50-140mm?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
BillCPA Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: 70-300mm AF speed vs the 50-140mm?

Tim van der Leeuw wrote:

The_Crow wrote:

BillCPA wrote:

According to this gentleman's testing, the 70-300 is the 2nd fastest autofocusing zoom in the Fuji lineup - only the 200/2 is faster ... .he did a 5 part series .. here is number 3:

https://youtu.be/uKFeN7aNws0

My real-world experience refutes his claims. Although not slow, I find the 70-300 slower to focus than the 55-200 and DEFINITELY slower than the 50-140.

Makes sense, given that it has to work with lower amount of available light. Do you have any sort of indication of how much slower?

How reliable is the AF compared to the 50-140?

Of course a very unscientific test, but this morning I went out with both lenses on my X-T3 and both lenses focused extremely fast and accurate (I had plenty of contrast in the subjects I shot) ... varied shooting subjects far away and much closer ... AF-C with pre-af off and Focus priority. As soon as I half-pressed the shutter both lenses snapped into focus .... at that speed one really can't tell any perceivable difference in focus speed. I am not disputing the previous poster in which he says that the 70-300 was definitely slower in his comparison, It's just for me it was at least as fast as the 50-140 and 100-400 ..... and other's have said the same.

BillCPA's gear list:BillCPA's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow