Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Diffuser or Flash

hobbit mob wrote:

Jcbailey wrote:

So I went ahead and purchased a diffuser. Specifically this one

—-

CZQC Diffuser Cover 1Set 3 Color 3 in 1 Pop-Up Flash Diffuser Cover with Bracket for DSLR Cameras Flash Bounce Diffuser Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097MRDFHP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9M254W15BC84ZE2X29V0

Since I’m not ready to use flash (external) is this a good second option for low light? I will be using the white one.

I know there are some defenitions on google about a diffuser and flash but what is a diffuser like in the real world. How will this help me

Thanks

Diffusers are made to spread the light more evenly and soften the output. A diffuser will also reduce the output of your flash’s power, so you may be limited with your on camera flash and this diffuser as most on camera flash systems aren’t super powerful. I’d say what you could expect from what you ordered (I’ve never used one, so I’m guessing) is slightly softer indoor flash portraits (less harsh shadows, more even light).

if you think of the sun as a giant flash, without any clouds you will see harsh shadows on everything. an overcast day basically provides a giant diffuser over the sun’s light, which is why it’s such nice light for outdoor portraits (and why lots of people starting out are disappointed by how crummy their beautiful sunny day portrait session went)

And by “softer portraits” I don’t mean less sharp, just that the light will be a softer, more even light

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow