Experience with optical viewfinders

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larneytony New Member • Posts: 17
Experience with optical viewfinders

Hi, I'm sure this subject has gotten attention here already. I'd like to add some thoughts on using ovf's with the Samsungs.

After owning and getting good use of my Sam collection for a year, I've struggled sometimes with the NX300 and 1000 lacking viewfinders (for reasons well known) and finally it occurred to me that I had two ovf's left over from my earlier rangefinder cameras. I tried them out and am very pleased. They have added a new dimension to the cameras' use and effectiveness, e.g. for grab shots or active subjects (like performers on stage) and great for portraits and just as well for landscapes/cityscapes.

The two ovf's - an old 1930's turret design made by Carl Zeiss Jena, offering 5 focal lengths: 2.8 cm., 5cm, 8.5, 13.5 and 18cm. The other is a compact Voigtlander Turnit with 3: (35mm, 50mm and 100). Both have parallax correction. The are slipped onto the hot shoe (with a little tape to insulate the electronics from bare metal - just in case).

Obviously one has to set the zoom lenses to corresponding focal lengths compensating for the crop factor, for which the 18-55 and 50-200 are ideal. I.e. set 18mm on the lens with the 28mm vf setting - and 90mm with the 135mm - and so on. A little complicated making calculations at first but one becomes used to it. The experience is similar to using prime lenses and a viewfinder for each.

Focus is achieved by simply selecting the center focus point on the Samsung, so one can half press the shutter while viewing and holding the subject centrally through the ovf and shifting for composition. With practice you hardly need to check the monitor for focus.

(Easier and faster than the old rangefinder cameras focus mechanism!).

I feel I have now gained an extra feature with the Samsungs which increases my confidence in taking only the one body and a few lenses out with me on short excursions whereas in the past I would also need to take with the NX30 and/or a Nikon to cover every situation.

There are small plastic, cheap fixed OVF's on ebay, for 28mm and 35mm, although without parallax control, a pair of which I ordered.

Anyone else found the benefits of OVF's or considering them? I'd like to hear from you as well as any queries.

Samsung NX30 Samsung NX300M
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow