upgrading the 256GB M.2. Nvme SSD to a larger 512GB .

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,564
Re: upgrading the 256GB M.2. Nvme SSD to a larger 512GB .

gkal wrote:

I will be receiving a new Dell XPS 8940 desktop this week. It is replacement for my XPS 8930 that was on extended waranty that Dell can not repair. So they are sending me the newest model XPS 8940 which comes with an M.2 NVME ssd hard drive. It come with Windows 10 Home preinstalled.

Before starting the Windows 10 complete install process and as soon as it is unboxed, I want to replace the M.2 NVMe ssd with a higher capacity 512GB.

Is it as simple as installing the 512Gb SSd in the motherboard, insert the usb key with Windows 10 and press F12 as I restart the computer?? and that's it,

Is there something else I should know?

1) Do i have to format the drive first and assign a letter like "C" drive

2) Do I have to unplug the "D" drive first

3) I Will be presented with a windows that will ask "New" and "Format" which will I select

4) Will I be able to use keyboard or mouse in the process

Any other detail that is important to know ahead of time will be helpful. I hate to be stuck not knowing what to do and avoid major mistakes.

Thank you

George

Seems as if no-one is answering your question.  I've faced similar logistics when increasing the size of a laptops hard drive.

My suggestion for you would be:

1) Get the free Macrium Reflect and take a full partition and system image of your existing drive onto your data drive.

2) Put your new drive in place and boot up with your (already prepared) USB Windows Media Creation disk and install Windows on it.  Put Macrium Reflect on it and restore from your saved image.

However, in truth I've generally used Clonezilla to save and restore images from one drive to another, though I have also used Macrium in the past.  Providing you don't overwrite your existing C drive you are not going to lose anything from that drive.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow