Considering a G1X m3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,167
Re: Considering a G1X m3

jw10 wrote:

My Sony rx100ii is on its last legs after almost 14,000 shots.

So I've been considering a replacement.

I hike and backpack a lot, so size and weight are extremely key considerations.

This time round I really would like to have an EVF. Considerations are the newer rx100's, and Canon G5x, m2.

Only last week I discovered the Canon G1x m3. For only an addtional 4 oz over my rx100ii, I get an EVF, APSC sensor, weather sealing.

Reports on the lens seem to be generally good -- I've looked at many sample from different reviews and the lens is as good or better than any rx100 series as far as I can tell.

It may be a little less reach than some other choices, but I find it's rare that I use the 100mm (equiv) from my current rx100ii, and with a better lens, better sensor, the G1X m3 should be able to have a tighter crop and still have good resolution compared to a smaller sensor, so I think the reach comparison may be somewhat of a wash anyway.

Some other details:

99% of my shots are in AV mode. The other 1% is TV.

I wear glasses -- will the EVF give me any issues?

I never have a tripod, and have gotten pretty good at stitching hand held panoramas where I pivot the camera around the image axis, usually in portrait orientation(see example).

I take fair amount of closeups of flowers, plants etc. Does the AF+MF work reasonably well for focusing -- considering often I'm tired, or in a rush not to slow down our progress on the trail too much futzing around would be annoying.

Given the price of a G1X m3 is equivalent to the rx100's, and the lens focal length is looking acceptable, can you think of a reason to consider something other than the G1X m3?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

6 images from rx100ii stitched with Hugin, handheld panorama

G1X.3 at 15mm

HI Jeff, I have bought and used many compacts over the years including Pana LX100 versions, Sony RX100 versions, Ricoh GR3, Fuji X100V, Canon "one inch" sensor  versions and variants, and EOS M50 with all the EF-M  lenses.

I rate the Canon G1X.3 best of the lot taking into account all aspects of specifications, features, image quality, performance and ergonomics.  It is very suitable for the uses you specify. I carry mine in a Think Tank MM5 bag.

I had a G1X.3 a few years ago, sold it for no good reason that I can remember and bought another one a few days ago. I am very pleased I did so.

My "main" camera is an R5 with various lenses but there are plenty of times when I just can't be bothered to take out all that kit.

In the review of the G1X.3 on this website they comment on sub optimal lens quality at the wide end. Both my copies have had an excellent lens with very good sharpness at all focal lengths and apertures and just a bit of softness in the corners at the wide end. I suspect they might have gotten an early production copy with a not-quite-right lens.

The G1X.3 is a camera which got luke warm reviews (including from me) when it was released but it has stood the test of time better than most other compacts and still makes a good case for itself.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow