Confused about model release

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,595
Probably doesn't matter

Usually the ticket to get into the event allows to organizers to use pictures. Look for signs by the gates, and fine print on the tickets.

In most jurisdictions I don't think that's a valid way to secure the appropriate legal authority to use / sell photos that the photographer would not otherwise have.

Usually I buy the ticket before the physical ticket is handed to me, and often without first being presented and asked to approve terms and conditions that address this sort of thing. As a matter of contract law, in most jurisdictions / most cases you can't impose new conditions on me (printed on the ticket) after we've made the basic contract (the sale of the ticket / license to attend the event). So really, the ticked-buyer has to be presented and agree to those terms and conditions before the sale of the ticket, or else in most case those terms are not valid.

The same goes for posting signs. You can't sell me the ticket today and then, when I arrive in a month for the football game or concert, impose new requirements (such as my consenting to having my photo taken for commercial purposes) as a condition of my entry.

The signs like 'we're videoing you' are typically more about security / surveillance, and for that purpose they probably matter in some jurisdictions.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow