RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Peak freak Contributing Member • Posts: 931
Re: RF24-105/4 performance

Update:

I live in New Zealand but deal with Canon Australia who are quite helpful in acknowledging any issues.

I outlined the problems I was having to Canon and they requested examples, I got this answer :

"Yes we can see that there are differences as pointed by the customer. In this case ask customer to send the lens to Canon repair centre and of course be sure to supply the photos as well. Once received, it will be checked assessed, it might need calibration."

I sent the lens to a Canon NZ repair centre and got the expected reply - "Checked lens resolution, found to be within product standard, bla bla bla..."

I explained carefully the specific nature of the problem but suspect this wasn't tested. Put in a test bench, the lens probably does look OK.

So, on the one hand I have Canon acknowledging there may be a problem - based on the results I showed them, but then Canon repair (NZ) saying the lens is OK.

On thing I found interesting: As requested I sent in print examples from my adapted EF 16-35/4 at 35mm for comparison. The edge performance at this F/L is a little soft but figured it worthwhile to illustrate that it was still considerably better than the RF 25-105/4 at 35mm.

I was told that the EF16-35/4 was "completely different in terms of focal length (duh!) and resolution".

I doubt this is actually the case and expect any differences between the EF16-35/4 and RF 24-105/4 at 35mm to be so small as to be irrelevant, and personally find it a bit insulting as a way to dismiss the weak performance of the RF 24-105/4 (at 35mm).

Anyways, I will probably sell it because I just won't enjoy using it, and that is an important part of photography to me.

Thanks for the input.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow